ViroTrap Viral Transport Medium aids the collection and transport of clinical specimens like viruses, chlamydiae, mycoplasmas or urea plasmas from the collection site to the testing laboratory in the easier way.
It is ready to use transport swab kit. It is intended to maintain the viral viability and transport the specimens in active form for isolation to get accurate pathological test results.
1. Pre-mix ready-to-use 3 ml sterile formulation of viral transport medium, available in 15 ml plastic v-tube screw-cap vials to enable ease of use.
2. Sterile Swabs for collection of samples
3. Transport medium deploys pH stable buffer PBS solution suitable for viruses and nutritional media for growth of viruses.
4. Ideal for preservation of SARS-CoV-2 (COVID - 19) virus for up to 48 hours by following the guidelines.
5. Incorporated with antibiotics like Gentamicin, Amphotericin B, Streptomycin which suppress bacterial and fungal contamination.
6. Formulation developed as per the guidelines issued by WHO and CDC.
Appearance of medium: clear solution
Sterility: Passes release criteria
Intended for the collection and preservation of Viruses - Chlamydia - Mycoplasma and Ureaplasma. Contains antimicrobial agents to minimize bacterial and fungal contamination. Used in viral antigen detection test, PCR and rapid tests.
ViroTrap VTM is available in a 3ml fill, medium is stable at room temperature before specimen collection Post collecting the sample, it should be stored at 2-8° C controlled temperature. f the transport is supposed to take more than 48 hours, then it is suggested to freeze the specimen at -70°C temperature.
The medium expires after 12 months from the Date of manufacturing and should be used before the expiry date for accurate results.
A successful isolation is best viable if the sample is processed immediately after collection. Therefore, once the collection of a sample is done the swab should be immediately placed inside the transport vial where it will be dipped in the liquid transport medium.
1. Open the pouch to remove the swab.
2. Specimen can be collected with the swab in the following manner-
a. Insert a small, soft-tipped swab into the nostrils, up till straight to the nasopharynx.
b. Twirl it a few times until it is enough covered in secretions. This may be a little uncomfortable for the patient but it is not painful.
c. Transfer the swab into the vial containing viral transport medium and close the cap tightly.
a. Ask patient to open his/her mouth. Insert the swab at the back of the throat and wipe it near the tonsils thoroughly.
b. Break the swab near the break point indicated on it and insert it into the vial containing viral transport medium and close the cap tightly.
3. Label the sample correctly with name of the patient, the time & date of collection
4. Transport the samples immediately to the laboratory for processing.
If the specimen is being transported within 48 hours from collection, then it should be refrigerated at 2-80C or kept on wet ice after collection while in transit.
If the specimen will take more than 48 hours for transportation, then it should be frozen at -70⁰C
1. Isolation of viruses largely depends on the specimen collection, timing of sample collection and processing of samples.
2. Do not use the product if, (i) there is a change in the colour of the medium, (ii) there is evidence of leakage and (iii) there are other signs of deterioration.
3. Specimen collection should be done in the acute phase of illness.
4. Avoid repeated freeze-thaw of the collected samples.
5. To retain the infectivity of viruses, it is important that temperature be properly maintained for sample collection to processing.
6. It is recommended to refer to standard procedures and published protocols for sample collection and processing.
1. Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 2020. 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China Guidelines for Clinical specimens.
2. World Health Organization, 2020. Interim Guidance for Laboratory testing for 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in suspected human cases.
Ordering Information: Product Code: NRL-VT-VTM/3ML